Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A request from a mom-to-be to the moms-who-are…

Richard and I are really excited that we get to close on the house tomorrow!  Now that we’ve got the house situation under control, it’s finally time for me to start thinking about Lil Pea’s arrival and the things we want to have for him/her.  There are some things that we’ll need to replace in the new house (like a washer, dryer, and refrigerator), so we’re going to have to plan ahead and budget accordingly when it comes to baby items. 

I’ve started looking and I’m pretty overwhelmed with all the baby gear out there.  The reviews are helpful, but it’s still an awful lot to read.  I was reading about baby monitors for hours, lol!  Speaking of baby monitors… what I remember about monitors, they were glorified walkie talkies.  I had thought $30 to $40 bucks could buy us a nice baby monitor.  Boy was I wrong!!  They can be hundreds of dollars and include video and sound.  For real??  I mean, I want my baby to be safe and I want to know when he/she is crying.  Do I need video surveillance?  What on earth is Lil Pea going to be doing in there, cold fusion experiments?  Can’t I just go to the door and check on him/her?  Or, is this really a good idea and added protection against SIDS or something new that we just don’t know about?  Since this is our first child, we aren’t sure what we need or what’s the best.  What’s overkill and what could truly keep Lil Pea safer?

So, if you would be so kind as to share your knowledge and advice, I would like to know two things.  First, what was the object or item most used by you and your baby?  Your number one “go to” item.  Then, what is the one thing that you thought would be useful, but you or your baby hated it?  Or maybe it just wasn’t as useful as you thought it would be. 

I really appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions!!  I’ve found some lists of “Baby’s Needs” on sites like TheBump.com and BabyCenter, but they have not been as helpful as I’d hoped.  I know a lot of really wonderful moms out there, so I’m appealing to you for your advice and suggestions! 

No comments: