Sunday, April 3, 2011

Yummy Food and a Dream

I found a blog one day when I was hunting for some new recipe to try.  Her name is Ree and she’s the Pioneer Woman.  I fell in love.  Her photography is gorgeous.  Her sense of humor is similar to my own (only, she’s actually funny).  The recipes I have tried so far are way YUM.  She is like the Martha Stewart and Paula Dean love child I’ve always wanted to be.  You can find her blog <here>.  Tonight’s dinner is Beef and Snow Peas.  Oh yeah, you may commence with the drooling and jealousy now.  ;o)

Last week I was sick and didn’t do much around the house.  I was pretty bummed about that because we’ve been trying to settle into a nice routine with our household chores and things.  Every time we get on track, something bumps us off again.  I guess that’s life.  It leads me to believe that our house will always be just slightly messy, laundry will always be “almost done”, and dinner will probably never be served at a regular time.  Today was my catch up day.  I’ve been washing dishes, doing laundry, picking up, and surfing the net for menu items for next week. 

Checking out the Pioneer Woman’s blog and recipes always results in my favorite day dream.  The one where I don’t have to get up for work Monday morning.  The one where I get to stay home and cook and clean and garden and bake and raise babies.  **sighs dreamily** 

Richard tells me that he hopes to make that dream come true.  Every now and then, I’m optimistic enough to believe it could happen.  But then I get my paycheck and can’t imagine what our lives would be like if we didn’t have a two income household.  We’re taking advantage of our childless time to save and pay off the two new cars we’ve put in our driveway over the last year and a half.  The goal is to be as close to debt free as possible by July 2012 (Richard’s two year anniversary as a Poker Dealer and when the banks will recognize his commissioned income).  We want to find a larger, but modest house where he can afford the mortgage without my income. 

There are, of course, many variables.  When and if we get pregnant, is one of the biggest factors.  Whether or not we can sell our current home, is another factor.  Though, we’ve also discussed keeping it and renting it out.  There is also the teeny tiny possibility that I might not like being a stay-at-home mom.  Hahahaha, yeah, right! 

For now, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.  One I spend waaaaaay too much time fantasizing about.  But boy do I enjoy the idea…!       

Oh, there’s the dryer’s buzzer!  Must go fold towels and day dream some more.  :o)

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I'd love to be a SAHM, but if we're still in Alaska, then there's no chance. The cost of living is so high here and home prices are still ridiculously high, unless we want to live in Wasilla (and that will be a very cold day in hell). Or one of us would have to get two jobs, so the other could stay home and that's no fun at all either.

If you can make it happen, I sure it would certainly be worth it :-)

Stacy said...

Oh and the ultimate food porn site:
Tastespotting.com

It's a searchable aggregate of thousands of food blogs full of gorgeous pictures.

Sara said...

Hi Stacy! Yeah, I'm not sure that it will actually happen. I have a lot of promotion potential and it's hard to imagine "throwing that away" to stay home. At the same time, I feel like I could quit my job tomorrow and never look back. I worry about the cost of living increasing and us not being able to make ends meet. There's just so much to think about in making such a huge decision.

Meanwhile, that site you suggested is amazing!!! I can see that I'll be wasting several hours there...! Yum.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!! :o)

Stacey said...

<> What a wonderful dream... One that I share with you, that's for sure. But I lack one of the most important variables to this dream: a husband! haha All we can do each day is work towards our dream in some way. You and Richard are doing that by saving money, paying off debt, and working towards becoming financially stable enough so that your dream can become reality. We don't know what the future holds for us, but we do have the choice today to do something, anything, small or big to work towards that dream. And that, in itself, should make us feel good. Knowing that we are not just sitting around waiting for it to happen, but instead actually doing something about it! Dream big!!