With Silver Bells and Cockel Shells
And pretty maids, all in a row
Though I could have put a roof on it when we had it built, there was a tough decision to be made. Roof it or buy furniture so we can sit comfortably on it. Haha! We opted for the furniture, a beautiful new grill, and a giant umbrella from Costco. (Seriously, the umbrella is huge! It’s heavily constructed and covers almost the whole deck. It’s amazing.) That first summer, I covered the porch in potted flowers and spent a lot of time on it. We put lattice along the underneath and planted a lovely garden around it. Wish I'd taken some pictures when the lillies were in bloom...
The next year, however, I spent much less time out back. We got married that spring and I bought an obscene amount of potted flowers for our front and back porches. Unfortunately, that summer, I was not a very good gardener and all of our plants died tragic deaths. I vowed that this summer would be different! Since I had more time available to me, I would plant seeds (cheaper) and nourish our existing gardens. I was determined to plant some vegetables and have a yard to rival my parents.
Well, they were good intentions. We did start the veggie garden and I’m super excited by what it’s produced so far. I pulled off my first cucumber today; it’s huge! The corn is coming along beautifully and I’m hoping that the small ears that are starting to tassel turn out to be scrumptious! I have managed to weed my existing beds and nurse one plant that was struggling back to good health. I have no potted flowers; the one I started in the house didn’t make it. But I’m not beating myself up about it too much.
Today, I cleaned off the back deck. I swept and hosed it all down, rearranged the furniture a little, and straightened up the yard. Sitting back now, I feel so good about what I accomplished this morning. I got sweaty and feel totally refreshed. The porch looks worlds better. Our little Japanese Blood Maple is doing splendidly! I have a small rose bush that’s blooming with these bright pink roses. My bird feeder is swinging in the breeze; though, it’s empty and needs seeds. I’ll pick some up the next time I’m at the store.
There’s something really amazing about surveying one’s land. Granted, we have a tiny little yard rather than some huge plantation. But when I look out over our freshly cut grass (thanks, honey!) and see those bright pink buds or the leaves of the corn waving in the breeze, it makes my heart swell with pride. I think to myself, “I planted that. Watered it. Watched it grow.” It’s almost like it’s a part of me and I’m a part of it.
I am so grateful for life today.
No comments:
Post a Comment