OH. MY. GOODNESS.
We’re PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suppose this story starts on July 19th. Richard had been harping on me to take a pregnancy test for a several days. My last cycle began on May 21st. Since we started TTC (or “Trying To Conceive”), it’s not been uncommon for me to miss a period (which also means no ovulation). When I missed June, I wasn’t concerned and didn’t bother to test. I figured with me leaving my job and Diana’s wedding all happening right on top of each other, it made sense to me that I’d miss. As July wore on, however, I realized that it had been a while since my last period and maybe I might consider testing. I decided that if I hadn’t started by the end of July I would test.
I relayed this plan to Richard, but he wasn’t interested in waiting. Monday night (7/18), he pushed for me to test the next morning. “Can’t you just humor me?” he asked. I was kind of upset with him. I didn’t want to test AGAIN. I didn’t want to see ANOTHER negative result. I was so tired of feeling like a total failure and I told him that I was pretty much out of hope. I was pretty much done trying. We had one test left under the sink. If it meant that much to him, I’d do it.
The next morning, he asked me again if I would “pee on a stick”. I said I didn’t really feel like it. My stomach was all crampy and my breasts were sore and tender. My period was imminent; there was no point in testing. He hrumphed at me and I could tell that he was frustrated with me. So, while he took the dog out back to run around, I pulled out the test. I bustled around the house getting something to drink and waiting for the test to be finished. I was all prepared to go out back and say “I told you so” to Richard. However, when I reached in the bathroom to grab it, I noticed it didn’t say “Not”...!? It just said “Pregnant”.
“Holy shit…. Holy shit…… Holy shit……” were the first words I exclaimed (the same words Richard heard when he asked me to marry him, lol!). I came out the door, just repeating that over and over again. I handed the test strip to Richard who enthusiastically jumped up from his chair and kissed me.
He wanted me to make a doctor’s appointment as quickly as possible. I knew there was no way I’d get into a GYN’s office quickly especially since we were between doctors, so I called my GP. They were as wonderful as usual and found an opening at 12:30. I felt a little silly about rushing off that way, I mean it’s not like they would do anything different than another urine sample pregnancy test. But I wanted to hear it from someone else as much as he did, I guess. We saw a different doctor than I usually saw, but she checked me out and (of course) had me provide her a sample. When their test came back positive as well, I was through the moon!!
Dr. Jodi said that it was her guess that I was between 6 and 8 weeks pregnant at that point, but that’s going off my last cycle as being May 21st. I don’t believe that we’re actually that far along, but we won’t really know until they check me out more thoroughly. Our orientation appointment was set up for August 2nd and my first exam was set up for August 4th with a doctor that came very highly recommended.
We rushed off to the bookstore and got a lovely “Your Pregnancy: Day by Day” book. We’ve already read through nearly half of it. That same day, Tuesday, we told our immediate families. Now, it’s time to tell you all!!
Tomorrow I will update with how our orientation and first exam appointments went. For now, though, it’s been a long and exciting day of sharing the news with family and friends. I’m pretty worn out and Richard’s brought me ice-cream. So we’re going to curl up and watch the Princess Bride and indulge in a little cookie dough!
I’M SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:
Yayyyyyy! THIS made me excited! I'm so happy for you - and know you will make great parents. I love you sister :)
So happy for you!!!
OMG OMG OMG..... WOOT!!! Im so freaking happy for you both!!!!
"Grandma to be" is brimming with joy and excitement!!! I guess I better get busy crocheting my first baby blanket!!! teehee :-)
Post a Comment