Friday, August 5, 2011

Playing Catch-up – The first exam

Our appointment with our general practitioner resulted in a referral to a new gynecologist group!  Yay!!  I was not going back to my previous doctor for any reason at all!!  I did a lot of asking around about OBGYNs and ended up picking a group that came highly recommended and had a high risk specialist in their group.  This way, no matter what happened, I was with the same group of 5 doctors – and it would be one of those 5 that would deliver our baby.  I like that a lot.  Our GP set up the appointments for our Orientation and then for our first exam.  The orientation was August 2nd and the exam was on the 4th.  Richard is off work on Tuesdays and Thursdays; he wanted to be able to come to my appointments with me. 

The orientation was a bit of a waste of time.  Most of the information they provided us we already knew or could have easily looked up.  Richard really didn’t need to attend that little meeting.  It was set up as a group of newly pregnant women.  Or girls, I should say.  I was easily the oldest one there!  I think everyone else was “barely legal;” truly, I’m certain they were 18 or younger.  Richard was the only guy, bless him.  But, I brought him along because I’d been given the impression that they were going to do a family history, weight check, and blood pressure check at that time.  Oh well, at least we got to see the place. 

Thursday’s appointment was different.  I won’t go into all the details, I promise.  But she did take our family histories and get a baseline for all the other things they’ll measure along the way.  Richard and I decided not to do the genetic screenings.  It’s pretty expensive and the results wouldn’t change anything (as in, we wouldn’t terminate), so we decided not to bother.  Plus, did you know there is a 5% chance that the results could be wrong anyway!?  

They took my blood.  And can I just throw a pet peeve out there…?  I have pretty good veins and they can pump a lot of blood, pretty quickly.  I’ve filled Red Cross bags in 5/10 minutes.  But I can’t tell you how often I get some sweet young nurse who sticks a needle in my arm and then swishes it around, hunting for a vein.  Really!?!?  You know how much that hurts!!  She seemed to get all flustered when she couldn’t get any blood to come out.  Then she jumped when it whooshed out, which moved the needle and she had to do it again!  Swirling a needle around under your skin hoping to hit a vein is just cruel and unusual punishment, lol! 

Anyway, so she did do a quick pelvic exam and swiped for the STDs they are required by law to check for.  It was all very routine and I was a little disappointed.  I’d hoped that we’d get to hear something at least….  My book had said we might and I got my hopes up.  But because of my PCOS, they aren’t sure exactly how far along we are (my cycles are not regular).  As such, we get to do a first trimester ultrasound on August 16th.  This will be mostly to figure out how far along we are, which they can tell by size. 

For the moment, I am to continue taking my Metformin (through next Friday), but will be doing a fasting sugar test on the 16th as well.  Because diabetes occurs pretty heavily in my family and with the PCOS insulin resistance already showcased, she is concerned about keeping my sugar in check.  It just means that I’ll have to work extra hard to insure everything goes smoothly.  I can only do my best.  This is the most important thing in the world to me and I’m determined to do it well. 

So, that’s where we are at for the moment.  Not much information, yet.  If we go by our cycle, then we’re at 10 weeks 6 days today.  Her due day guess was February 27th.  When I was tracking my ovulation, I tended to ovulate later in my cycle than most.  So, I’d guess we’ll be closer to early March.  Who knows!!  Hahaha, that’s out of my hands.  All I can do is pray for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.  Which is all I’ve been doing since we saw that plus sign!!    

No comments: