On Monday, Samantha had
her four month check up with her pediatrician.We were really excited to see how she was developing and talk to him
about some feeding issues we’d been experiencing.The last week and a half, Sam’s been drinking
me dry.By the last meal of the day, I
was running on empty.She’d gone from
eating every three hours or so, to eating every two hours or so.It was such a sudden shift that my body just
didn’t seem able to catch up with her!I
was pretty upset when Richard suggested supplementing with the leftover formula
we had from when I was super sick.I
even pumped one night, just before her last feeding, to see how much I had left
– 2 ounces.No wonder she was still
hungry!
First Food, vanilla yogurt
So we talked it over
with Dr. S. and he said that it sounded to him as though she was ready to start
on some “solid” foods!!We suspected as much,
based on conversations that I’d had with my mother and the little bit of
reading we’d done.Dr. S. suggested that
we start with a few simple things – bananas, apple sauce, and yogurt – wait three
days between trying new things and see what she likes.He said that they no longer suggest waiting
to introduce certain foods, like eggs, until after their first birthday.He advised that we try a variety of foods
(over time).For the next two months, we
can start introducing her to fruits, veggies, cereals (rice, cream of wheat
type things), and dairy products (cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.).At her six month checkup, he said he’d go
over the next step – adding small amounts of water from a sippy cup and things
like that.In the meantime, we’ve got a
WIDE variety of exciting tastes ahead of us!
Daddy's Lil Honey Bee
He also said she was
developing beautifully, falling in the 80th percentiles for height
(26”), weight (16lbs, 13oz), and head size (42cm).Sam received her second/third round of shots,
which she handled like a trooper!Then,
we headed off to Costco and Target!
We knew we were likely
to get permission to start Sam on some “big people” foods and I really want to
make my own baby foods, so we planned a trip to Target for a high chair and a food
processor after our doctor's visit. I'm not sure how I've managed to go this long without a food processor, but there ya have it. Since we’ve got a good stash
for the yogurt, apple sauce, and bananas, it will be a week or two before I
start making my own stuff though.I’m super
excited about baby food recipes – so if anyone has a favorite they’d like to
share, I’d love to give it a whirl.Yay!
I’ve added two videos
to the blog today.They are both from
Monday's first meal.I admit, they’re
kind of long.The first one is two
minutes and the second video is just over a minute, I think.It’s probably pretty boring, unless you’re
really into babies or especially attached to mine.;o)But I wanted to be able to share it with family and friends.
Hahahahahaha!! As one of those people who are "into babies" and especially yours! I LOVED the videos! Especially the last one.... I LOLed when she started crying and then instantly all better when she got more! I love her! SO perfect! <3
1 comment:
Hahahahahaha!! As one of those people who are "into babies" and especially yours! I LOVED the videos! Especially the last one.... I LOLed when she started crying and then instantly all better when she got more! I love her! SO perfect! <3
Post a Comment