Friday, September 28, 2012

Sooooo big!!

6 Months Old!

Well, my dimpled darling dear is six months old today!!  My, oh my, how time does fly! 

Don't make fun of my old lady nightgown.
Samantha is amazing!  Motherhood is everything I could have ever hoped for and then some.  Sure, there are days when I feel like I don’t do as good of a job as I could be.  However, most of the time, I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on things so far.  She’s happy, healthy, and developing ahead of schedule in most milestones.  Most of all, she's amazing.  Sometimes I catch myself sitting in silent awe watching her play.  I do think it's true - there is nothing stronger or greater than a mother's love.  

So, a few words on how she's been doing...    

Play time!
Until recently, Sam was still just doing vowels sounds, but about two weeks ago she started saying “mum, mum, mum” when she’s tired, hungry, or needs a cuddle.  I’m not convinced that she’s asking for me specifically, but it melts my heart just the same!  Also joining the “mum” are some “da-hd” sounds.  She loves blowing raspberries and will sometimes mimic others when they do so.  Other consistent noises include:  squeals of delight, growls at the dog, the occasional “hi,” "ba-hd," or “wow” though in sound rather than word meaning, and lots and lots of hiccups, grunts, and vowel-based coos.  


We have finally gotten a few giggles out of her!  She's always full of smiles and will squeal with delight, but we weren't getting any belly laughs.  We still haven't gotten many, but at least we know now that she CAN laugh, haha!  This video isn't the best example, but it's all I've gotten so far. 

Sam and Loki
She’s head-over-heels in love with the dog.  Most times, he could take her or leave her.  He’s pretty protective of her, though (runs to her when she cries, sits beneath whoever is holding her, etc).  She enjoys trying to pounce him, trying to steal his chewies (aka, rawhides), and attempting to play fetch with him.  He enjoys sitting under her high chair, waiting for her spoon to go flying.   

Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy = fun, fun, fun!
Sam’s favorite toys are her bouncer and her stackable rings, right now.  She’s no longer interested in the swing because it straps her down.  Rolling and scooting around on the floor is also one of her favorite activities, so being strapped into any kind of seat is like torture for her.  She’s a champ at rolling from place to place and has started getting on her hands and knees and rocking back and forth…  We expect her to start crawling any time now!! 

Sam still enjoys bath time with Daddy (or occasionally, Mommy).  Splashing is always a fun time!

Enjoying some applesauce 
We are currently eating two meals a day – lunch and dinner.  Samantha LOVES bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, pears and pineapples, yogurt (plain or with fruit), mangos, strawberries, and prunes.  She tolerates (without fuss but without excitement) carrots, peas, applesauce, and anything mixed with rice cereal.  She HATES yellow squash and green beans.  We will be adding a sippy cup to her meal times soon and we’re looking forward to trying more new foods!  When she gets a bottle (whether expressed or formula), she is holding it on her own (and has been for about three or four weeks now). 

Little Schroeder (Peanuts)
Naps are still a challenge for Sam.  She’ll usually have two or three 20 minute power naps throughout the day.  Even with the addition of lunch and a lunch/nap routine, she’s not interested in long naps, though we're working on it.  Occasionally I’ll get lucky, but it’s rare.  While Samantha used to be an excellent night sleeper, her habits have changed a little.   She wakes up an hour or so after being put to bed and then usually once or twice sometime in the night.  She's usually ready to start her day between 7 and 8am.

Here's a few more pictures, just in case you haven't seen enough!

Getting to be a very good sitter!  While she still hasn't pushed herself into a sitting position on her own, she has gotten close to doing so.  

Chewing on her sheep.

Playing and talking with Mommy. 

I went to get something from the kitchen, I came back into the living room (we're talking 30 seconds here) and she'd wiggled herself under her toy box...  

Playing on the floor with her Grandpa!


    

No comments: