Friday, January 25, 2013

Sick Mommy = Neo


Ya know that scene in the Martix where Neo gets shot all to hell and he’s lying there dead against the wall and Trinity is all “You can’t die, because I love you” then he pulls himself up and out of death.  Then, with a whispered “No,” he stops the bullets in midair and becomes ‘The One’…  Ya know, this one:



Well, I’d like to draw some parallels between this scene and a sick and/or pregnant Mommy.  Now, while I’m making the comparison in good humor, there is some real truth behind it.   

There is no time to be sick when you’re a Mom.  It’s a shame we Moms can’t banish a cold like Neo stops bullets.  And it’s a shame we don’t get the theatrical and empowering background music when we heave ourselves off the couch to change a diaper.  And I, for one, think it’s a shame we can’t fly (though I still think that’s the cheesiest part of that movie). 

When Sam is crying or needs to be fed, changed, cuddled, or consoled, I cannot just lie there… dead.  No matter how riddled with bullets I may feel.  As a Mom, when your child needs you, there really is no other response than to do whatever they need you to do.  Particularly at this young age.  You just sit up, whisper “no” to your sick body, and push through.  Fix the snack, fill the water bottle, sooth the achy new teeth, read the story sixty times, and ignore your own runny nose.

And that’s just what we do as a parent.  It doesn’t come with the glory of saving the world, the praise and adoration from the entire human race, or a puffed up title of ‘The One’. 

But I’m ‘The Mom’… and I like that label much better.       

No comments: