Well, our little family fared very nicely through HurricaneSandy. We never lost power or needed to
use those desperately sought flashlights.
Yay! I slept like a rock through
the Frankenstorm’s fury last night and woke up this morning to find all of our
trees intact, power on, and a well risen creek.
After a lazy morning (today is our Sunday), Richard and I got dressed
and headed out to explore the surrounding area.
Check out what we saw!
The first three shots are of the creek in our back yard at about 10am or so. It was swollen and flooded at the bend where
the two creeks meet. The next three shots are the same places and were
taken at about 5pm when we got back from our jaunt to look at flood
waters. The creeks have really merged
now. I’m pretty sure my husband is right
and the storm drain at the road is blocked, damming the water on our side. It’s one of those rare moments that I’m glad
our back yard is such a slope (in our favor!).
Creek in the back yard at 10am
The neighbor's side, where the two creeks join. (10am)
Wider shot of the neighbor's side. A drain leads to the Opequon under the road. (10am)
Same shot as the first one, at 5pm! Big change!
Where the creeks meet... now one giant creek...! (5pm)
Neighbor's side... Much more flooding.
These next photos are of the Opequon Creek, just a short
walk from our house. The stone bridge is
at the beginning of our road. Obviously,
it was closed.
Looking at the stone bridge...
The creek is usually contained in the straight stretch between the trees on the right side of this picture. There was no end in sight to how far it went off to the left. Luckily, the high bank on the right (not shown) kept the flood to the farm on the left.
Huge pile of debris on the other side of the stone bridge.
More debris. And a tire. Lots of tires in this creek.... You'll see more later...
The parking lot (where you see the sign) is gone for the moment. The road was blocked just before reaching the Grapevine intersection.
Another shot of the debris side. Amazing!
We started off heading a back road toward my sister’s
place. We had to stop and turn around
since it was totally flooded out! We
decided to stick to the main roads at that point.
Random road, flooded out.
Harper’s Ferry was a bit of a disappointment. I’ve seen the river higher; though, I’ve been
told it hasn’t crested yet. I probably
won’t manage to get back out there, so this is all I’ve got to show you…
Sam got to get out for this part of the adventure, tucked safely in Daddy's jacket and very well bundled up!
Confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers.
Old bridge.
Other old bridge (railroad in the background).
Sam is having a blast!
This last bit was taken on our way home, again at the Opequon. It's a short video. Please forgive me for totally forgetting the date and the name of the Hurricane... I have no excuse, haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment