Monday, August 12, 2013

Sleepy Lady Babble

Richard’s been working a lot of over time lately.  Maryland Live’s poker room opens at the end of this month, so Richard’s taking advantage of all the over time he can squeeze in before Charles Town becomes Ghost Town.  (Although, we hope that isn’t really the case…  A single income household really does require a single income to sustain.)

And I miss him when he’s gone.  For a variety of reasons.  Primarily, because I love him and I love having him around.  But a very, very close second is because we have these two, beautiful babies.  Trying to juggle the two of them during the day is tough enough.  Someone is always hungry or needing changed.  There are always empty sippy cups to be refilled, toys to retrieve from places I didn’t know my 16 month old could reach, or spit-up to wipe up.  I’m not complaining!  I love my job as a SAHM.  All I mean to say is that there is always, always something to do. 

When Richard gets home at the end of his work day (usually between 7:30 and 8:30 in the evenings), I am really ready for his capable (and exhausted in their own right) hands to clean a dirty butt. 

Right now, our routine is to divide and conquer!  He puts Sam down and I take Sophie.  When he’s not home in time to get the girls into bed…  Well, things can get interesting pretty quickly.  That is why we spent the past two nights at my parents’ house.  Tonight, the third night in his string of three doubles, I was on my own. 

After a very busy and fun weekend with their grandparents, playing outside, and being further off their schedules that I usually allow, I knew that getting them into bed on my own would be a treat. 

I figured I’d start with the baby. 

Our living room is pretty well baby-proofed, so my plan was to let Sam play with the dog while I changed Sophie and got her settled in.  I did most of her nursing in the living room, but knew it would take a few minutes to “cap her off” and “knock her out.”  As I tried to shuffle the baby and the diaper bag (with her pj’s, monitor, and diapers from the weekend), Sam managed to scoot between my legs into Sophie’s room.  Okay, fine.  Join me then.  I can handle this. 

Sam went directly for the basket of Nuks I keep on the table in Sophie’s room.  Readily available stoppers to keep Sophie from waking Sam.  Harmless, I tell myself as I begin getting Soaps ready for bed.  I peek over my shoulder at Sam several times as she tries on Nuk after Nuk.  It’s cute and she’s well entertained.  I’m feeling great about my plan.  Once Sophie is thoroughly swaddled and ready to be rocked one last time, I turn to usher Sam out of the room.  As I do, I see my dimpled darling crouched on the floor with a q-tip jammed in her ear!

Shit!  How on earth did she get a q-tip!?  I wrestle it away, check the cotton tip for blood or strange fluid or any indication that she might have dug too deep, assess her head for any sign of injury, and marvel at my 16 month old’s grasp of what a q-tip is used for.  After all, Mommy’s not really as good as she should be about the girls’ “Spa Day” (which includes clipping finger nails, toe nails, cleaning ears, and the like).  It tends to be a once-every-other-week sort of thing, right now. 

She’s fine.  Thank goodness.  I usher her out of the room.  Sophie goes down like a ton of bricks.  I knew she was worn out and was very grateful that she fell asleep quickly.  Now I move on to the 25+ pound tornado in the living room…

I get her changed.  That takes about twenty minutes.  She stays still long enough to have the diaper removed and then wriggles out of my grasp and takes off.  I chase her down, rinse and repeat.  One item per sitting is about all she can handle.  Once the clothes are finally on her tiny little body, I scoop her up and settle in for a good book.  I’m actually really excited.  Richard usually does this part with Sam and while we stayed at my parents’, my mom put Sam to sleep.  I grab two of her favorite books (Fox in Socks and Hop on Pop).  She doesn’t want either of them.  Every book I touch, she refuses. 

Now, I know some of my friends would say, “why give her a choice?”  Well, not doing so results in her kicking the book out of my hands.  At which point, I hear them say, “then she doesn’t need a book.”  Yes, I agree with you in principle…  However, putting her in her crib at this time with result in hours – yes, it could be hours – of screaming, crying, and general misery for all parties.  And Sophie’s asleep.  So, I’ll make the extra effort to find the book she wants to read. 

Good Night Moon.  Found it.  Great.  We read it three times.  I don’t usually do this, but I’m really loving this cuddle time and I know that she’s not going down easily tonight.  Too much excitement.  No Daddy.  So I’m indulging her a little. We sing about fifty songs and I’m pooped.  Time for bed, kiddo. 

No dice. 

I let her cry for about a half an hour.  They are weak cries and mostly babble.  But she’s getting louder rather than quieter and I’m starting to worry she’s going to wake Sophie.  So I trudge back to Sam’s room, heft her back to the rocker, and snuggle in again.  After singing the Swimming Pool song about 20 times, I decide that’s enough of that.  We rock in silence for a blissful and blessed five minutes.  She’s lying contentedly in my arms and looking at me while she’s playing with the pull strings on my PJ bottoms.  I’m in total and complete Mommy Heaven. 

Then she starts to babble.  She’s saying every single word in her arsenal about ten times each and in every voice inflection she’s learned.  It’s adorable.  It’s endearing.  I’m. So. Tired.

This is probably one of the hardest moments for me.  When Sara just wants to go to bed, but Mom knows that this bundle of joy needs about fifteen to twenty more minutes of snuggles before passing out.  I have a lot of love to give and a very long line of patience, but at the end of the day it’s pretty well used up. 

I manage to dip into my reserves and just melt and marvel in her amazingness.  Cause I am totally and completely in love with these little girls. 

I tuck Sam in and it’s 10:00pm.  Yikes!  Well, I knew it was going to be a long process.  Just to make sure everyone is down for the night, I go out and pick up my book to read a chapter or two.  Then, I’ll head to bed.  At least that was the plan…


Since then, I have been back with Sophie three times (each entrance to her room was marked by a delighted squeal and a HUGE grin, so how could I possibly be frustrated) and Sam once more.  It’s now 1am.  It’s been fifteen minutes since I last left Sophie and I think this time might be the last…  Maybe she’ll sleep in a little longer in the morning…?  If I have to go in there again, I might have to bring my own pillow and blanket…

No comments: