Thursday, August 29, 2013

Play Time!


As it was...
So who remembers this cabinet?  I know a few of you will.  For those who don’t know, this cabinet was made by my dad’s grandfather!  He played with it when he was young and my great grandmother gave it to my sisters and me when we were little. 

I have many great memories of playing kitchen with this little cabinet.  Diana used to make a special dish that she called “champlain,” which turns out to actually be a lake!  I remember tea parties with my sisters and our American dolls.  It was also a great hiding place for little trinkets or snacks we saved for later.  It’s been used as a makeshift desk, a mailbox, and closet for our dolls. 

Now, I’ll be honest.  When we were cleaning out my parent’s garage for our yard sale, I was not excited when it was suggested that Richard and I keep the cabinet.  It’s old, blue, and redoing it was a project I wasn’t sure I really felt like taking on.  But my mom put her foot down; she wasn’t keeping it, we weren’t allowed to sell it, and my sisters didn’t want it or have the place for it.  Okay, I guess it’s me then. 

Mid sanding...
After bringing it home, though, I started to think about the possibilities.  Then I got a little excited about Sam and Sophie having something to play with that’s got such a nice family history.  That’s when I started making my plans to breathe some new life into it.  At first, I was just going to repaint it with the same paint that we used in Sam’s room (a light lavender).  Then I started thinking it would be more fun to do a really bright color, change the knobs, and maybe add some freehand flowers.  Ideas started pouring in and I set to work taking off the old knobs and sanding down the old paint.  Richard even gave me some baby-free time this past weekend to make some headway! 

So, here it is!  I’ve still got some more ideas…  Maybe a little backsplash.  Maybe paint a stove top.  Maybe add some chalkboard paint to the cabinet fronts up top.  Who knows!  But for now, I’m just super excited to give my girls this updated piece of history and another place for their imaginations to blossom!  

Primed!  
First coat of paint!!  So in love with this bright and playful color!  

All finished!!  I haven't done the chalkboard paint yet,
but I think I'm going to now.
Full of food! 

Oooooohhh!  What's this!?!?

Cooking already!  Mmmmm, veggie soup!

What do ya know, she's a messy cook...  lol!  Just like Daddy!  Hahaha! 

And a bonus one of my Bubbles!  :o)

Oh, did I mention there's a chalkboard, too!  That's up next, though it might have to wait a little while.  I've got some big ideas for that, as well.  It's going to have a cross stitch of the ABC's that my mom made when we were kids...!  

1 comment:

Sara Turner said...

Totally warmed my heart. What a wonderful item to hand down through generations. I love what you've done with it and it made me a little misty to see Sam playing so happily with it. xoxo Hugs for the fam and love the bonus pic !! <3