Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Holes, itchies, and bumps!

Wow, it’s been busy in the medical department at the Everingham Household!  Friday we got Sophie’s test results, Sunday Sam started breaking out in poison ivy, and then Monday Richard took a nasty trip down the stairs. 


Soaps is watching her
 crazy sister play
I’ll start with Soapy.  The news was pretty good, really.  She has a mild Pulmonary Valve Stenosis and a small AtrialSeptal Defect (ASD).  So, the ASD is essentially a hole in her heart between the top two chambers of her heart.  It’s a problem because it allows oxygen-rich blood to mix with oxygen-poor blood.  However, because hers is small, it may or may not need fixing.  My pediatrician said the pediatric cardiologist will want to see her and assess her himself before making that determination, but that he felt if it needed fixing then a cardiac catheterization procedure would probably be all she’d need rather than full on surgery. 

The Pulmonary Valve Stenosis is a narrowing of a valve in her heart.  He said that this was actually a pretty common cause of heart murmurs in women (as it effects women more frequently).  He said that had he thought this was all there was going on, he wouldn’t have bothered ordering the echocardiogram.  There’s nothing that would need to be treated with this one. 

I’ve contacted the pediatric cardiologist and am waiting for a call back to set up her first appointment with him.  He does a clinic in Winchester which is great!  Otherwise I’d be traveling to Charlottesville.  And I may still need to at some point.  We’ll keep you updated on her progress. 

Sam's poison
(she's all personality, this one!)
Next up: Sam-a-lam.  Poor kid.  While I was at the pediatrician’s office discussing Sophie’s results, Sam and Sophie were having a pool day at Aunt Diana’s mother-in-law’s pool.  They have goats.  Sam likes goats.  Goat might have liked poison ivy.  Sam is now covered!  Poor munchkin.  I took her to the pediatrician’s because three pharmacists (yes, it took me three pharmacies before I found calamine lotion) told me that I should take her in as it looked like the poison was getting really close to her eye.  We got her some good drugs and a better cream and this morning she already looks worlds better!  Yay!!   I tried to get a picture of her arms, but she just wouldn't cooperate.  They are much worse than her poor lil' cheeks.  And this is today, already worlds of improvement after two doses of her meds. 

And finally, Richard.  So I had a lunch date with some of the ladies I used to work with at NPS.  I was really excited and leaving the babies in the care of dear ol’ Dad.  As I got back in my car after lunch, I find via text that he’s fallen down the stairs… with Sophie in his arms!!  Sophie was fine; scared but fine.  He’d fallen hard on his butt and slid all the way down.  When I got home, his poor hinny was swollen and his back was red and raw (carpet burn).  Tuesday, his whole right butt cheek was black/purple.  I mean, it looked nasty!  He did end up going in to the ER to check and make sure there wasn’t more damage done than bruising (or a concussion, since he was feeling very exhausted and having a hard time staying awake).  He’s fine, but extremely sore.  If you know Richard, then you know he doesn’t really do anything gently…  Falling down the stairs was no different.  His poor butt. 


Bet you were worried I was going to show you a picture of Richard’s ass, weren’t you.  Haha!  *wink*  Na, just a bonus picture of my Soapy Bubbles.  

No comments: